Friday, August 12, 2005

So, Why Am I In This Room?

I've always had the tendency to immediately forget things that are not of particular interest to me so I'd never be a great Jeopardy player and I have limited categories of proficiency in Trivial Pursuit - okay, basically Science & Nature.

I've always attributed these memory lapses more to my failure to store the information in the first place rather than the typical retrieval problem that comes with age. For example, Mr. CJ was continually amazed that over the years if I wasn't for him I'd always have to consult the mall directory to locate the few stores at which we'd shop. And if I'm not the driver? Forget about it - I don't have a clue as to where we parked. I'd also never make a great politician because if you and I had a conversation that I didn't think was particularly interesting or pertinent, it (and perhaps you) would not be registered (on the other hand if someone was giving me thousands of dollars ... there is that). Actually there are a great many reasons why I wouldn't make a great politician but they have nothing to do with the topic at hand.

I've also always possessed a lack of a certain brain/body coordination. That is my brain was typically ahead of my body so, for example, I would constantly find upon proofreading that I would typically leave the last letter off of a word because, presumably, my brain had already moved on to the next word. However, lately I've found, increasingly, that my brain becomes easily distracted.

I'll set out upon a task and get sidetracked. I'll also find myself pausing for what seems to be an interminable amount of time (although it may be only a few seconds) in the middle of a room trying to recall what I came in there to do. Where'd I leave my keys? glasses?

Why am I mentioning this? (don't worry that was a question to you, I haven't forgotten while concentrating on my keystrokes) Because, while these little lapses can be aggravating from time-to-time, now I find that this is what we have to look forward to.

I thought getting reading glasses was an inconvenience. Now I won't be able to get a good night's sleep worrying about whether I might forget to breathe.